My mom and I had a pretty tame visit... for us. Don't worry, there were still some zingers and I'll get to those soon, but for the most part, it was a good visit. Although we didn't know it when she made plans to come, it couldn't have been better timing. Gram swooped in and saved the day. She got my children over the hump of the disappointment from their dad, which was still rearing it's head in the form of them being at each others throats.
I should say, for all that I complain about my mother, I really do love her and know that she loves me. I'm grateful, that even though we both know visits between us can go south in a instant and neither of us really knows what will set the other off, it doesn't stop her from coming, spending time with the kids, and helping out.
Having her here, having another adult in the house, got me thinking about some of what I miss as a single mom. It's been on my mind a lot lately. I'm not sure why. Perhaps because this fall will mark seven years since my ex left, perhaps because my first semi-serious relationship since then ended past fall, or perhaps because seven years is just a plain old long time to be alone.
I know I'm not totally alone. I know I have friends and family to support me,I have date some ~a very little some~ but there are a lot of things I miss about being married.
- Having another adult body in the house
- Having someone sit across the room to watch TV with
- Having someone to bounce things off of...ideas, burdens, whatever is on my mind
- Having someone to make my coffee
- Walking into the kitchen and having someone else be at the counter
- Walking up to that person and being able to snuggle up for a back hug
- Looking out the window and seeing someone doing chores, yard work, or playing with the kids
These are the things I miss the most... the simple presence of having someone I love in the house, the companionship.
Seven years is a long time!