Wednesday, August 14, 2013

In This Day and Age

In this day and age we have to be so careful....

My children flew by themselves last week. Their flight there was uneventful, but their flight home was, oh, three hours late!!!. Even accounting for the original delay, I got to the airport, which was three hours from home~ I had to travel on my end in order to get them a direct flight into the airport up north into which thee need to fly.~ before they did. They were supposed to take off at 3 and land at 5. Instead, take off was delayed three times until 5 and then they sat on the plane for another hour, not taking off until after 6 pm. They landed at 8:30, the time we should have been walking in the door at home.

For those of you unfamiliar with children flying as unaccompanied minors, they usually let the adult picking up the children meet the flight at the gate. They bring the children to you and you must show your picture id and sign a form saying that the children have been returned to you.  As I was doing this, other passengers, who had missed connecting flights, were also at the counter inquiring about their next steps. One gentleman indicated that he had a 10:45pm connecting flight back to our town,~ That airport being just 30 minutes from my house, but flying direct out of that one was not an option!~ but thought he'd be better to just rent a car and drive home. He wanted to make sure his luggage would still get there.

As we walked away, this same man came up to me, introduced himself and told me that it had been his pleasure to sit next to my children on the plane.  He indicated that it had been a LONG day and they'd been on the plane for a LONG time and my children were troopers through the whole thing. He addressed them by name and told them it had been a pleasure to fly with them! Obviously, I was pleased and proud.

I would have liked to have offered this man a ride home. My children indicated that he was very nice to them the whole flight. They knew he'd flown up north for the day for business. It appears that he helped make an upsetting situation a little easier for my children. I knew from overhearing his conversation at the desk that he was about to rent a car and drive back to the same city as us.  I would have like to help him out in return.

However, in this day and age, it just isn't wise for a single mom, traveling late at night with her two children to offer a ride to a stranger.  I realize that there was a 99.9 percent chance that everything would have been fine, but I wasn't willing to risk my children for that 0.1 percent. I know I did the right thing. I know I made the safe choice, but it makes me a little sad that I couldn't offer kindness to someone who'd offered it to my children.

8 comments:

Angelwithatwist said...

I think if the man was that kind he would have understood your concerns with picking up a stranger. Maybe the kids can give you his name and you can send him a basket or something for the kindness he showed your kids.

The Dose of Reality said...

I certainly think even if you had offered he would have probably turned you down, for all the reasons you said. Still, so nice of him to let you know how fantastic your kids were! :)-Ashley

Aleta said...

It's really sad that we can't offer assistance these days, but I agree with your decision. Your children's security and Your security aren't worth the risk of people these days. Sad, very sad, but true.

Ilene Evans said...

I would feel the EXACT same way you felt, I would have wanted to but would not have - just in case of that 1%

Cyndy @ Back in the Bush said...

It's sad that the few bad people in the world ruin things for the many, many good people out there.
Of course, I'd have done the same thing and felt the same way as you.
You sure do you have every right to be proud of those kiddos! =)

Mimi B said...

My boys are older than your kids, but it was still hard to have them fly by themselves for the first time and having only flown once before. They even had a layover. I'm so glad your kids did really well and I'm thankful they had someone sitting next to them helping make the day better, but I think you made the right decision. A bummer that this is what our world has come to, but if something had happened...not worth the risk. Good choice mama!

Tettelestai said...

Oh no doubt!!! It's getting to the point where I don't stop to offer help to stranded men along the side of the road for that reason either. I am glad he was sweet for the kids and they had an adult looking out for them. BUT, it would have been a huge risk to have him drive home with you. I fully understand your decision.

Leigh Powell Hines said...

I know. It's tough but you did make the right decision. You back at work?